[Remind-Fans] Can't compute trigger - worked before

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Thu Sep 7 15:57:05 EDT 2023

On Thu, 7 Sep 2023 15:46:05 -0400
Ed Blackman <ed at edgewood.to> wrote:

> Thanks, that worked.

Great.

> I suppose that there's no other way of rearranging things (I feel
> like you would have raised it)?  The very long keyword makes it hard
> to scan the rest of the file.

You can abbreviate it to just MAYBE, like this:

  REM Tue --4 MAYBE SATISFY [islarge($T+4)] MSG Contact attendees re
  large REM Tue MAYBE SATISFY [islarge($T)] MSG Large meeting

which has a certain readable appeal to it.

> I'm guessing that the very irregular schedule makes satisfying
> SATISFY difficult.

Right.  If the only large meetings are in the past (ie, if islarge(t)
is only ever true for dates before today()) then the SATISFY clause
will never be satisfied and Remind will issue a diagnostic... unless
you tell it not to with MAYBE-UNCOMPUTABLE.

You can use the "-dx" command-line option to watch how Remind
evaluates islarge(t) as part of SATISFY.