[Remind-Fans] Can't compute trigger - worked before

Ed Blackman ed at edgewood.to
Thu Sep 7 16:12:31 EDT 2023

On Thu, Sep 07, 2023 at 03:57:05PM -0400, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2023 15:46:05 -0400
> Ed Blackman <ed at edgewood.to> wrote:
> > I suppose that there's no other way of rearranging things (I feel
> > like you would have raised it)?  The very long keyword makes it hard
> > to scan the rest of the file.
>
> You can abbreviate it to just MAYBE, like this:
>
>   REM Tue --4 MAYBE SATISFY [islarge($T+4)] MSG Contact attendees re
>   large REM Tue MAYBE SATISFY [islarge($T)] MSG Large meeting
>
> which has a certain readable appeal to it.

I like it!  I actually laughed.

> > I'm guessing that the very irregular schedule makes satisfying
> > SATISFY difficult.
>
> Right.  If the only large meetings are in the past (ie, if islarge(t)
> is only ever true for dates before today()) then the SATISFY clause
> will never be satisfied and Remind will issue a diagnostic... unless
> you tell it not to with MAYBE-UNCOMPUTABLE.

Ah!  That explains why it just recently started complaining, when the last announced large meeting passed.

Thanks, I think I understand better, and with the ability to abbreviate should make it through until next spring when my responsibility for all the extra parts will end and I can go back to:

REM Tue MSG Meeting!

with a few OMITs.

--
Ed Blackman