[Remind-Fans] Notifications of up coming events

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Sun Sep 17 10:20:34 EDT 2023

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 10:14:31 -0400
Storm Dragon via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> Unfortunately tkremind is not an option for me. I am blind and use the
> Orca screen reader. TK is not accessible at all with it,
> so I have to do everything by hand.

Ah, got it.

> I'm guessing I would add remind -k to cron, but in this case, how
> would I make it not speak the reminders that are on the same day but
> have either already passed, or are still in the future by more than 5
> minutes? For example, it's 10:30AM on Monday, so I don't want the
> 9:25AM reminder. I also have a second one for 5:00PM, and I don't
> really need to know about it until 4:55PM.

If you have the very latest version of Remind, then running the following
command when you log in (maybe from your .bashrc file) should do the trick:

remind -z '-k:notify-send %s &' ~/.reminders < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 &

The "-k:" option will run notify-send, but the colon means to run it
only when queued reminders are issued, not when Remind first starts
up.

The redirection to/from /dev/null disconnects Remind from your terminal
so it'll keep running in the background.

The -z option makes Remind run in daemon mode.

If you want advance warning, use a delta in your reminder.  For example:

   REM Mon Tue Wed Thu AT 9:25 +5 MSG Clock in %2.

will trigger at 9:20 and 9:25.