[Remind-Fans] Simple Script for Managing Reminders

Storm Dragon storm_dragon at linux-a11y.org
Sat Sep 23 16:29:55 EDT 2023

Howdy,

A bit of backstory for this. I have a project that sets up i3 to be
screen reader accessible. It does a few other things like adds window
event sounds, makes it possible to alt+tab between windows, etc. It is
called I38 and is located at:

https://git.stormux.org/storm/I38

One thing that is missing is a good way to get reminders. Applications
that offer that functionality are either completely inaccessible, or
require a tray which is inaccessible, at least so far. Even trayer
doesn't read, and it's gtk, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Now that I have reminders working with notifications, I wanted a simple
interface so that users would be able to add new reminders, view
existing reminders, and possibly edit/delete them.

I am currently working on a script that uses yad to provide said
functionality. It is coming along nicely and already has the ability to
add recurring reminders, select day(s), time, and add the reminder
message.

One small problem is, I can't just use the calendar component of yad,
because for whatever reason, gtk doesn't expose the calendar information
to Orca, so it's totally inaccessible. I got around that by making my
own with a form with checkboxes for days, range buttons for hour and
minute, and a combo box for am/pm.

It works well with the screen reader, but I'm not sure how visually
appealing it is. So, I was wondering if there would be any interest in
this outside the I38 community, and if anyone here would like to see the
script and possibly provide feedback? It's still very much a work in
progress.

Also, for bonus points, if anyone is interested in helping write the
script, that would totally rock. Thanks for reading my long winded
message. :)

Thanks,
Storm
--