[Remind-Fans] How to localize messages at run time

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Thu Sep 28 06:22:13 EDT 2023

Hello,

I just packaged remind for Slint with all optional dependencies.

But I don't want to provide a package for each supported language so intend to
provide it only in English.

Here is the content of the package:

/usr/bin/rem # symbolic link to /usr/bin/remind
/usr/bin/remind
/usr/bin/rem2ps
/usr/bin/tkremind
/usr/bin/rem2html
/usr/bin/rem2pdf
/usr/man/man1/rem2ps.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/remind.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/tkremind.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/rem.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/rem2html.1.gz
/usr/man/man1/rem2pdf.1.gz
/usr/man/man3/Remind::PDF.3.gz
/usr/man/man3/Remind::PDF::Entry.3.gz
/usr/share/remind/ansitext.rem
/usr/share/remind/holidays/ca.rem
/usr/share/remind/holidays/fr.rem
/usr/share/remind/holidays/gr.rem
/usr/share/remind/holidays/ie.rem
/usr/share/remind/holidays/jewish.rem
/usr/share/remind/holidays/us.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/auto.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/da.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/de.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/en.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/es.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/fi.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/fr.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/gr.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/is.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/it.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/nl.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/no.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/pl.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/pt.rem
/usr/share/remind/lang/ro.rem
/usr/share/remind/seasons.rem
/usr/share/remind/site/README
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Remind/PDF/Entry.pm
/usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/Remind/PDF.pm
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/auto/Remind/PDF/.packlist
/usr/lib64/perl5/perllocal.pod
/usr/doc/remind-04.02.06/COPYRIGHT
/usr/doc/remind-04.02.06/MICROSOFT-AND-APPLE
/usr/doc/remind-04.02.06/README
/usr/doc/remind-04.02.06/remind.SlackBuild

In /usr/share/remind/site/README I read:
This directory is for system administrators to install site-wide
Remind scripts that are useful to their user-base.

Should I understand that there is a way to copy files like
/usr/share/remind/holidays/fr.rem or /usr/share/remind/lang/fr.rem in some
location or refer to it in an environment variable so that the user get remind
in French (both in the command line and in the GUI), for instance, and then how?

Thanks for any clue,
Didier