[Remind-Fans] Remind 04.02.07 BETA 1

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Wed Oct 4 10:09:40 EDT 2023

On 2023-10-04 09:47, Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans wrote:
> I've tagged a beta release of Remind 04.02.07; you can download it from
> https://salsa.debian.org/dskoll/remind/-/archive/04.02.07-BETA-1/remind-04.02.07-BETA-1.tar.gz

Not sure if this matters, but I just went to build it on FreeBSD/clang
and got

  init.c:1041:9: warning: logical not is only applied to the left hand side of this bitwise operator [-Wlogical-not-parentheses]
      if (!p.revents & POLLIN) {
          ^          ~
  init.c:1041:9: note: add parentheses after the '!' to evaluate the bitwise operator first
      if (!p.revents & POLLIN) {
          ^
           (                 )
  init.c:1041:9: note: add parentheses around left hand side expression to silence this warning
      if (!p.revents & POLLIN) {
          ^
          (         )
  1 warning generated.

in case this is important.  I'd have to dig into the code to try
and suss out the intent, whether you intended

  (!p.revents) & POLLIN

vs

  !(p.revents & POLLIN)

> The main feature in this release is that Remind attempts to guess the
> background color of the terminal window to improve how it shades
> calendars.  It does this by using an Xterm-compatible OSC code (the
> "Esc-[" control codes).  I believe most UNIX terminals are compatible
> with this, but I'd really like people to test this.  In particular,
> please test if:
>
>     o You're running Remind on an OS other than Linux, or
>
>     o You're using a terminal that's not widely used (so not Xterm, Rxvt,
>       xfce4-terminal, GNOME terminal or konsole.)

As a double-offender here, running FreeBSD and with access to st(1)
as a terminal (though my daily-driver is either xterm(1) or rxvt(1)),
I'd be glad to put it through its paces.

Is there a way to build a test-case here, such as a dummy reminder
file I should use, or a particular set of ~/.XDefaults type settings
I should try?  Or even just an OSC sequence I should

  $ printf '...' && hexdump -C

to capture the sequence returned?

-tim