[Remind-Fans] Rebrand to GNU Remind

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Sat Dec 2 09:59:26 EST 2023

On Sat, 02 Dec 2023 14:22:21 +0100
Dick via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> I think it would be very helpful to rebrand "Remind" to "GNU Remind".
> Currently it's really hard to find "Remind" on search engines.

GNU is a registered trademark of the Free Software Foundation, so I
would need its permission to do that.  And I'm not inclined to ask for
permission because although I admire and love the GNU project, I do
not want Remind to be part of that project.

> For example, try searching for:

> - remind macos

I don't officially support Mac OS and in fact I discourage people from
using Apple products, so I would not be surprised if that search phrase
fared poorly.

> - remind calendar

On Brave, the top hit is the Arch wiki talking about Remind.

On DuckDuckGo, the sixth hit is the Remind project page on my
Web site

On Google, it's the third hit.  (I am logged in to Google, so this may
differ for you.)

> - remind android

AFAIK, there's no Remind port to Android, so I wouldn't be surprised if
this comes up empty.

> - remind examples

No hits on any of the major search engines.

> - remind wiki

No hits on Brave; sixth hit on DuckDuck Go and sixth hit on Google.

The search phrase "Remind Linux" yields the top hit on all three search
engines.

> Adding "gnu" to the search terms is already a bit better but would be
> much better if "GNU Remind" would have been used consistently.

For the reason I mentioned above, I will not be rebranding Remind as
GNU Remind.

> Slightly related; I'd also recommend to add remind to some
> GNU software lists online.

If non-GNU software is allowed on such lists, that's fine... how would
I go about adding Remind?