[Remind-Fans] Time of day with SPECIAL HTML

W. Robert J. Funnell, Prof. robert.funnell at mcgill.ca
Sat Jan 13 13:36:19 EST 2024

From: Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca>
Sent: January 13, 2024 12:28

On Sat, 13 Jan 2024 11:09:46 -0600
Tim Chase via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> On 2024-01-13 16:17, Remind list wrote:
> > I'm using rem2html. When I want a link to appear in the
> > calendar, I use something like
> >
> > REM 14 Jan 2024 AT 11:00 SPECIAL HTML <p class="rem-entry"> 11:00
> >
> > I'm including the time (hh:mm) twice, once to control the
> > order in which reminders are displayed for that day (independent
> > of when the reminders are appended to .reminders), and again
> > so it appears with the reminder in the calendar. Is there some
> > way to avoid having to include the time twice?

Yes.  Replace the time in the body with: %*2

This substitution sequence simply expands to the trigger time.

-- What do you mean by 'in the body'?
-- If I put '%*2' in the REM after SPECIAL HTML, I just see '*2' in the calendar. If I put '%2' (or '%3') I see the trigger time in the calendar but it's preceded by 'at ', which looks weird.
-- (The first time I put '%3' this morning, it actually displayed 'at ' followed by the current time rather than the trigger time, but now it's displaying the trigger time, so I may have been hallucinating. The man page doesn't explicitly say that it's the trigger time that will be displayed, although it does say that trigger dates will be displayed.)

> I'd use a function for my URLs/links, something like

I think this way overcomplicates things.  But it's just a matter
of taste, I guess.  If you have a LOT of these reminders with URLs,
then encapsulating in a function makes sense.  If it's only one or two,
then maybe not.

-- This occurs often, for all of my Zoom meetings. However, maybe I should have mentioned that I use a question-and-answer TCL script for adding entries to .reminders. If I specify a URL then the script generates the required SPECIAL HTML stuff, including the duplicate time. It's inelegant but not really a problem, until I decide to manually edit the REM with a text editor, in which case I sometimes forget to change the duplicate time.

- Robert