[Remind-Fans] Ways to use Remind

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Tue Jan 16 10:51:02 EST 2024

On 1/16/24 08:35, taekoocair--- via Remind-fans wrote:
>> However, I do have a script that pulls down two Google calendars (personal
>> and work) and converts them to Remind format.
> This is exactly what I'm looking for. Would you be willing to share said
> script?

There is ical2rem.pl, a Perl script I've submitted some
fixes/enhancements to over the years: https://github.com/jbalcorn/ical2rem .

However, in my experience it's extremely slow, and when I tried to do a
deep dive into why it was so slow in order to optimize it, it quickly
became too twisty-turny for me, and I eventually threw up my hands and
gave up. My recollection of what I found is that time/date and time
delta handling in Perl, or at least the implementations of them used by
this particular script, are both absurdly compute-intensive and absurdly
complex and therefore extremely difficult to optimize. Also, I seem to
recall that the really slow stuff was buried in a library that
ical2rem.pl uses, not in ical2rem.pl itself, so I couldn't improve
performance by making changes to the script itself.

Because ical2rem.pl is so slow I wrote a Python replacement for it which
is like an order of magnitude faster but only has in it the exact
functionality that I previously used ical2rem.pl for, i.e., it doesn't
have nearly the flexibility that the Perl script does. If there is
interest here I suppose I can put it up in a public repo; if people want
to hack on it and submit PRs for additional functionality they need I am
happy to review and merge them.

   jik