[Remind-Fans] Ways to use Remind

Justin Alcorn justin at jalcorn.net
Tue Jan 16 12:10:19 EST 2024

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 10:51 AM Jonathan Kamens via Remind-fans <
remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> On 1/16/24 08:35, taekoocair--- via Remind-fans wrote:
>
> However, I do have a script that pulls down two Google calendars (personal
> and work) and converts them to Remind format.
>
> This is exactly what I'm looking for. Would you be willing to share said
> script?
>
> There is ical2rem.pl, a Perl script I've submitted some
> fixes/enhancements to over the years: https://github.com/jbalcorn/ical2rem
> .
>
> However, in my experience it's extremely slow, and when I tried to do a
> deep dive into why it was so slow in order to optimize it, it quickly
> became too twisty-turny for me, and I eventually threw up my hands and gave
> up. My recollection of what I found is that time/date and time delta
> handling in Perl, or at least the implementations of them used by this
> particular script, are both absurdly compute-intensive and absurdly complex
> and therefore extremely difficult to optimize. Also, I seem to recall that
> the really slow stuff was buried in a library that ical2rem.pl uses, not
> in ical2rem.pl itself, so I couldn't improve performance by making
> changes to the script itself.
>
> Because ical2rem.pl is so slow I wrote a Python replacement for it which
> is like an order of magnitude faster but only has in it the exact
> functionality that I previously used ical2rem.pl for, i.e., it doesn't
> have nearly the flexibility that the Perl script does. If there is interest
> here I suppose I can put it up in a public repo; if people want to hack on
> it and submit PRs for additional functionality they need I am happy to
> review and merge them.
>
>   jik
>
>   I'm the original author of ical2rem.pl.

I agree that ical2rem.pl is slow and twisty - the data::iCal::DateTime
module is just terrible.   I have a todo to rewrite the whole thing that
has been sitting in my inbox for...let's see....8 years?  yikes.

Heck, I want to rewrite it in python.

But I use it in scheduled scripts, I never have to wait for it, so ... for
my use case it is rock solid.  I download and convert 13 calendars every
hour.   Been working here since...when did I write it?  oh yeah. 2005.
So...maybe I'll wait until it's an adult. :-)

--
Justin B. Alcorn
The views expressed are not necessarily my own, much less anyone else's