[Remind-Fans] Converting iCal to Remind (was Re: Ways to use Remind)

Justin Alcorn justin at jalcorn.net
Tue Jan 16 13:01:30 EST 2024

On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 12:27 PM Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans <
remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:10:19 -0500
> Justin Alcorn via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:
>
> > I agree that ical2rem.pl is slow and twisty - the data::iCal::DateTime
> > module is just terrible.   I have a todo to rewrite the whole thing
> > that has been sitting in my inbox for...let's see....8 years?  yikes.
>
> My script (included in the tarball in an earlier email I sent) uses
> iCal::Parser and it's certainly fast enough for me:
>
> $ time ical-to-rem.pl basic.ics > basic.out
>
> real    0m0.158s
> user    0m0.150s
> sys     0m0.009s
> 506:dfs at gato(tmp)$ wc -l basic.out
> 22 basic.out
>
> 158ms to convert 22 events.  I guess my calendar is not as full as some. :)
>
> Now, my script does not attempt to preserve iCal repeat semantics, etc.
> It "expands out" events to one REM per occurrence.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dianne.

a full second for 310 lines.......Lots of repeated entries, I'm not THAT
busy. So yeah, 10+ times as long for 10+ as many entries.

$ time (cat justin.ics | ~/bin/ical2rem.pl > test.rem)

real    0m0.978s
user    0m0.944s
sys     0m0.037s

$ wc -l test.rem
310 test.rem
--
Justin B. Alcorn
The views expressed are not necessarily my own, much less anyone else's