[Remind-Fans] Converting iCal to Remind (was Re: Ways to use Remind)

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Tue Jan 16 12:26:51 EST 2024

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:10:19 -0500
Justin Alcorn via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> I agree that ical2rem.pl is slow and twisty - the data::iCal::DateTime
> module is just terrible.   I have a todo to rewrite the whole thing
> that has been sitting in my inbox for...let's see....8 years?  yikes.

My script (included in the tarball in an earlier email I sent) uses
iCal::Parser and it's certainly fast enough for me:

$ time ical-to-rem.pl basic.ics > basic.out

real	0m0.158s
user	0m0.150s
sys	0m0.009s
506:dfs at gato(tmp)$ wc -l basic.out
22 basic.out

158ms to convert 22 events.  I guess my calendar is not as full as some. :)

Now, my script does not attempt to preserve iCal repeat semantics, etc.
It "expands out" events to one REM per occurrence.