[RP-PPPoE] query on pppoe client setup

SIMON BABY simonkbaby at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:58:54 EDT 2020

My name is Simon.  I was reading the document HOW-TO-CONNECT
under pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.14/doc free software package. I have some basic
questions below.

I have an interface already up with dhcp below

eth6      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0c:29:c1:1f:af
          inet addr:192.168.149.152  Bcast:192.168.149.255
 Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::20c:29ff:fec1:1faf/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:328977543 (328.9 MB)  TX bytes:4201713 (4.2 MB)
          Interrupt:19 Base address:0x2024

I would like to make a pppoe session on this interface (client). I
downloaded the package rp-pppoe-3.14 on my linux and build to generate all
the scripts and binaries. When Looked into
the pppoe/rp-pppoe-3.14/doc/HOW-TO-CONNECT, it says below  contents and i
have some queries.

 1. Edit pap-secrets
-------------------

Edit the "pap-secrets" file, inserting your proper user-ID and
password.Install the file (or copy the relevant lines) to
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets.Your ISP may use CHAP authentication.  In this case,
add the line to /etc/ppp/chap-secrets.

Can I use any username and password  ?

2. 4. Edit /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
-----------------------------
The file /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf contains configuration information for the DSL
connection.  You need to edit the following items:

- Change ETH=eth1 to the correct Ethernet device for your modem.
- Change USER=bxxxnxnx at sympatico.ca to your proper DSL user-ID.

what is  USER=bxxxnxnx at sympatico.ca here ? is this same as I provided in
pap-secrets ?

3. Set up DNS
-------------

If you are using DNS servers supplied by your ISP, edit the file
/etc/resolv.conf to contain these lines:

        nameserver ip_addr_of_first_dns_server
        nameserver ip_addr_of_second_dns_server

For example:

        nameserver 204.101.251.1
        nameserver 204.101.251.2

Is the above configuration mandatory ? if I don't provide DNS, will it work?

4. Firewall your machine
------------------------

MAKE SURE YOU FIREWALL YOUR MACHINE.  A sample firewall script is given
in the shell script "firewall"  To install the script:

a) Copy it to /etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall
b) Type: chkconfig firewall on
c) Start the firewall: sh /etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall start

(The above procedure works ONLY on Red Hat-like systems.)

You may want to tweak the script somewhat.

Is the above steps mandatory?

5. I am trying to invoke the client set up process in my application . Do I
have to use scripts or binaries? What scripts and processes do I have to
invoke for proper setup ?

Thank you for your time.

Regards
Simon