[RP-PPPoE] Code contributions

For users of RP-PPPoE client/server software rp-pppoe at lists.skoll.ca
Fri Dec 10 03:22:59 EST 2021

Hi,

Is there a way to clone the git repository?  I know you (Dianne)
mentioned that you don't like github, which I'm respectful of, but any
other publicly accessible mechanism would be greatly appreciated.
Currently we can only get the download versions, and the company I work
for is now in a position where we're relying one some of the features in
rp-pppoe's pppoe-server, and we'd like to assist with improvements.

What's the best approach for code contributions?  I've attached my
current one, there are a few more that Gentoo is using which we'd also
like to contribute (mostly compile fixes for newer toolchains).

Additional ideas we will need to pursue from our end:

1.  Abiltiy to shutdown/restart pppoe without dropping ongoing pppoe
sessions.
2.  Delegating IP allocations to pppd.
3.  Non-restart functionality for adding/removing interfaces.
4.  Different service names for different interfaces (yea, we can run
multiple daemons, but the daemon count would start getting crazy, 77
already - thus the need for the attached patch).
5.  Config file loading for above rather than CLI arguments.
6.  No-drop upgrades between versions.
7.  MTU/MRU handling (per interface setting, or delegating again to pppd).
8.  Varying options files to be passed to pppd based on interface
specific settings (might make some of the other handling easier).

Point 1 would actually eliminate the need for 3 and 6, however, I
suspect without delegating IP allocations would cause "scoreboard"
issues (and duplicate IP assignments).

That's just what we discovered in the last few days.  We're happy to
contribute code toward these functions.

Kind Regards,
Jaco