[Remind-Fans] "Sticky Notes" for "remind"

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Thu Jan 20 08:36:39 EST 2022

On 2022-01-20 07:36, LarryD via Remind-fans wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with "Sticky Notes" applications,
> especially those used with "remind"? I know there are many, but I
> don't know which are better than others.
>
> My problem is that I need some events to be "sticky". That is, I
> need some events to be visible and ONLY disappear after being
> acknowledged. I missed a payment because the announcement
> disappeared and I forgot to pay it. Not good.

While I'm unfamilar with any such "sticky notes" applications, I use
a suite of helper functions like these

  FSET done_y(y) y < $Ty
  FSET done_ym(y, m) y < $Ty || (y == $Ty && m < $Tm)
  FSET due() "by " + trigdate() + " (" + dosubst("%b", trigdate()) + ")"

and then use them like

  REM 10 +7 SATISFY [done_ym(2022, 1)] MSG Pay %"Water bill%" [due()]%
  REM 25 +3 SATISFY [done_ym(2021, 12)] MSG Pay %"Gas bill%" [due()]%
  REM Jan 31 +31 SATISFY [done_y(2022)] \
    MSG Pay %"Property taxes%" [due()]%

I can then update the information on when it was last done, e.g. when
I pay my gas bill, I'll update that to read "done_ym(2022, 1)" to
annotate the payment.  That way it will shut up for the rest of this
month but allow it to resume nagging me next month with something
like

  Pay Water bill by 2022-02-10 (in 5 days' time)

I usually give lead notice ("+5") based on the type of bill. Some
need to be mailed and need more time; some are online and only need a
couple days of nagging; some involve an in-person visit and I like to
have a long window of warning.

With a little more automation, I could probably integrate it with my
ledger(1) output which has record of the transaction happening. But I
haven't gone that far yet.

Not sure if you'll find it helpful, but figured I'd share my way of
letting remind pester me until I pay bills. :-)

-Tim