[Remind-Fans] Remind 3.4.0 Beta 2 - with correct download links this time

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Thu Feb 3 14:55:14 EST 2022

Hi,

Someone brought it to my attention that I posted incorrect download
links for Remind 03.04.00-BETA-2.  Sorry about that!  Here's the
announcement again, with correct links this time.

I'm pleased to announce that Remind 3.4.0 Beta 2 is available for
testing.

Tar: https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/download/remind-03.04.00-BETA-2.tar.gz
GPG: https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/download/remind-03.04.00-BETA-2.tar.gz.sig

Full release notes are below.  I've marked changes since BETA-1 with
an asterisk.

CHANGES TO REMIND

* VERSION 3.4 Patch 0 - 2022-??-??

- MAJOR CHANGE: Remind and its helpers (except for rem2ps) fully support
  UTF-8.  If your system locale is a UTF-8 locale and your terminal
  can handle UTF-8 encoding, you can enjoy full Unicode support in
  Remind.

- NEW FEATURE: Added a rem2pdf Remind-to-PDF converter.  It can handle
  the full UTF-8 character set and features a new PANGO special reminder
  type that lets you format the text in the PDF calendar (by changing
  the font size, color, underlining, etc.)

  rem2pdf requires the Pango and Cairo Perl modules.  On Debian or
  Debian-derived systems, these may be installed with:

      apt install libpango-perl libcairo-perl

* Unlike rem2ps, the default font in rem2pdf is "Sans" rather than
* "Helvetica", as Sans seems to be typeset better by the Pango library.

- NEW FEATURE: remind:  New system variables $Sunday through $Saturday
  and $January through $December let you set weekday and month names
  to whatever you like, permitting you to produce calendars in your
  local language, even if it's not one of the languages Remind supports
  by default.

- NEW FEATURE: tkremind: If rem2pdf installed, TkRemind offers you the
  choice of PDF or PostScript output in the Print dialog.

* CHANGE: remind: Increase the number of allowed "full OMITs" from 500
* to 1000.

* CHANGE: Remove the annoying code that slowed compilation and running
* on Windows and Mac OS X.  I believe the point has been made and free
* OSes have enough of a critical mass that the annoyances are
* counter-productive.

* CLEANUP: remind: C source code: Replace the LAT_DEG, LAT_MIN,
* LAT_SEC and LON_DEG, LON_MIN, LON_SEC macros with DEFAULT_LATITUDE
* and DEFAULT_LONGITUDE.

* CLEANUP: remind: C source code: Remove various unused or obsolete
  macros.

- BUG FIX: Properly support formatting of double-wide characters in the
  terminal mode "remind -c" calendar.

- BUG FIX: remind: Get rid of LAT_DEG/LAT_MIN/LAT_SEC and
  LON_DEG/LON_MIN/LON_SEC macros in favour of DEFAULT_LATITUDE and
  DEFAULT_LONGITUDE.

- IMPROVEMENT: All localized languages now use UTF-8 exclusively.
  Support for old character encodings like ISO-8859-1 and ISO-8859-2
  has been dropped since modern UNIXes have pretty much standardized
  on UTF-8.

- CHANGE: remind: Non-English versions of remind *no longer* accept
  non-English month- and weekday-names in trigger specifications.  This
  was a misfeature.  NOTE INCOMPATIBILITY.

* VERSION 3.3 Patch 12 - 2022-01-24