[Remind-Fans] TIME specification

Eben King eben at gmx.us
Thu Feb 10 15:24:03 EST 2022

On 2/9/22 19:00, Tim Chase via Remind-fans wrote:
> On 2022-02-09 17:36, Eben King via Remind-fans wrote:
>>> I'm not sure why you're testing $U==today() because that will
>>> always be true... $U and today() are equivalent.
>>
>> Well, heck. I was going by an example in
>>
>> https://blog.thechases.com/posts/remind/
>>
>> that says
>>
>> SATISFY [$U == realtoday()] MSG Only appears today
>
> As the author of that post, I suppose I should chime in here... :-)

Excellent.  Horse's mouth and all that.

> Note the difference between realtoday() (the actual date) and
> today() (the date that might be today, but might be the date
> specified on the command-line, or any date in the calendar-view).

today() is like the index in a for-loop then.

> For multiple events you only want to show up on the actual day, I'd
> likely do something like
>
>    IF $U == realtoday()
>      # events to only show if they happen on the realtoday()
>      REM Tue AT 19:45 MSG Main movie night
>      REM Fri AT 20:45 MSG Aux movie night
>    ENDIF

Yeah, that's roughly what I settled on yesterday.  I was going to wait until
Friday to confirm it works (though my testing showed it probably would), but
yay.

if today()==realtoday()
   REM Friday  AT 20:45 MSG Movie night.%
   REM Tuesday AT 19:45 MSG Auxiliary movie night.%
endif

I used today() instead of $U to make it more obvious to a novice reader (aka
me) what's going on.  BTW, is there a way of doing an inline comment?  #
doesn't work.  "Invalid character"

> Hopefully that sheds more light on that

Thanks!

--
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another:
         "What!  You too?  I thought I was the only one."