[Remind-Fans] allow *1 repeat without any start date

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Wed Mar 2 14:39:02 EST 2022

On Wed, 2 Mar 2022 14:26:04 -0500
"Ian! D. Allen via Remind-fans" <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

[I'm deleting quite a lot of the prior message as I consider its
 tone somewhat inappropriate for the list.]

> > not clear to me how to interpret something like:

> >       REM February *1 MSG huh?

> What's not clear about that?  It should be identical to:

>     REM February MSG this works fine

Really?  I don't think so.  I would argue it should be equivalent
to:
      REM MSG every day

because it means starting at some point in some February and repeating
every day after that.  Note that:

      REM 26 Feb 2022 *1 MSG foo

is most assuredly different from:

      REM 26 Feb 2022 MSG foo

> Okay, that's useful.  Please do make that change to your
> documentation, or consider this enhancement:

I think the documentation is clear:

       However, events that do not repeat daily, weekly, monthly or
       yearly require another approach.  The repeat component of the
       REM command fills this need.  To use it, you must completely
       specify a date (year, month and day, and optionally weekday.)
       The repeat component is an asterisk followed by a number
       specifying the repetition period in days.

The "... you must completely specify a date...." is pretty clear, I think.

The other examples are what SATISFY is for:

    >REM Feb *2 MSG every second day in February, starting from Feb 1
    Write: REM Feb SATISFY [$Td % 2] MSG every second day in February...

    > REM Feb 2022 *2 MSG every second day in Feb 2022, starting from Feb 1 2022
    Write: REM Feb 2022 SATISFY [$Td %2] MSG ...

    > REM 2022 *2 MSG every second day in 2022, starting from Jan 1 2022
    Write: REM 2022 SATISFY [(($T - '2022-01-01') % 2) == 0] MSG ...

    > REM *2 MSG every second day, starting from the Big Bang (or Jan 1 1970)
    Write: REM SATISFY [(($T-'1990-01-01') % 2) == 0] MSG ...
        (Remind's epoch is 1990-01-01.)