[Remind-Fans] Would love some help

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Thu Mar 17 08:34:03 EDT 2022

Hi,

> I have monthly reminds to update each of my hypervisors one day at
> the time. I have omitted weekends and finnish holidays. It works fine
> BUT they will stack for the next available workday and I want them to
> spread for the rest of the week, one reminder per day. I watched the
> great youtube tutorial and searched some examples but couldn't find
> what I was looking for or just didn't knew how to use expressions
> correctly to get this to work. Any tips?

If you are using version 3.3.10 or newer of Remind, you can make the
reminders pose as holidays with the ADDOMIT keyword.  Here's an example:

   # Save our holiday context
   PUSH-OMIT-CONTEXT

   # When each reminder triggers, add it to the OMIT context
   # as well, to push subsequent reminders after it.  We use
   # SCANFROM -14 to make sure that "old" reminders still
   # trigger in order to update the OMIT context.  For example,
   # on 2 June 2022, we still want the "REM 1" reminder to
   # trigger to mark 1 June 2022 as OMITted
   REM 1 OMIT SAT SUN AFTER SCANFROM -14 ADDOMIT MSG Upgrade 1
   REM 2 OMIT SAT SUN AFTER SCANFROM -14 ADDOMIT MSG Upgrade 2
   REM 3 OMIT SAT SUN AFTER SCANFROM -14 ADDOMIT MSG Upgrade 3
   REM 4 OMIT SAT SUN AFTER SCANFROM -14 ADDOMIT MSG Upgrade 4
   REM 5 OMIT SAT SUN AFTER SCANFROM -14 ADDOMIT MSG Upgrade 5
   REM 6 OMIT SAT SUN AFTER SCANFROM -14 ADDOMIT MSG Upgrade 6
   REM 7 OMIT SAT SUN AFTER SCANFROM -14 ADDOMIT MSG Upgrade 7

   # Restore our holiday context so that the
   # reminders are not really considered holidays
   POP-OMIT-CONTEXT

Here's part of the output of running "remind -c -w,1 hyp.rem 1 june 2022"

|                                 June 2022                                  |
|  Sunday  |  Monday  | Tuesday  |Wednesday | Thursday |  Friday  | Saturday |
|          |          |          |Upgrade 1 |Upgrade 2 |Upgrade 3 |          |
|5         |6         |7         |8         |9         |10        |11        |
|          |Upgrade 4 |Upgrade 5 |Upgrade 6 |Upgrade 7 |          |          |