[Remind-Fans] remind-caldav vs radicale-remind

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 05:41:03 EDT 2022

On Wed, 6 Jul 2022 at 15:30, Saša Janiška via Remind-fans
<remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 22:01:59 +0200
> Jochen Sprickerhof via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> Btw, for the purpose of syncing remind/taskwarrior/abook files between the
> desktop and production server running Radicale, which tool would you recommend:
> syncthing or unison? I have no need (atm)to sync anything else...

Hi,

I know nothing about syncthing but I have been using and relying on
unison for years.

The key feature of unison is that both machines are peers (the newest
addition/deletion/edit on either side is synced to both sides).

The sync is manually initiated from either side, and proposed changes
are manually reviewed, and possibly diffed, or merged, or skipped, or
cancelled, before action.

So for a situation where a user intermittently works on one machine, and
then sometimes on another, this is very useful.

A disadvantage of unison is that both computers must be running the
same version of Unison, compiled with the same version of the Ocaml
libraries. And full resync is required whenever the version is
changed.

wikipedia [1] says:

Unison differs from Syncthing in several ways, the main one being that
Syncthing is designed for always-on, automated synchronization,
whereas Unison is designed for synchronization that is triggered and
monitored by the user. Syncthing is peer-to-peer, while Unison is not.

I don't agree with that last sentence, or perhaps I don't understand
it.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unison_(software)