[Remind-Fans] remind/radicale & Thunderbird

Jochen Sprickerhof remind at jochen.sprickerhof.de
Fri Jul 15 15:51:35 EDT 2022

Hi Saša,

* Saša Janiška via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> [2022-07-15 16:57]:
>> Interesting, it does not work for me either. Seems like Thunderbird
>> wants to send the whole collection
>
>> on every update and radicale-remind does not support creating new
>> collections.

I've tested old Thunderbird and found that version 78.14.0 has an option
to select iCalendar (ICS) or CalDAV when adding a calendar. Choosing
CalDAV makes it kind of work. It complains a bit about not being able to
save something but it sends single events and changes are saved. Whereas
choosing iCalendar shows the same behavior as later versions. Then I
looked through the configuration files and found that there is a type
key in calendar.registry which is set to ics by default. Setting it to
caldav makes it work. To change it do:

Open Tools > Options > Advanced tab, and click Config Editor button.
In the “Filter:” box enter “calendar.registry”
Find a .type key and change it from ics to caldav.

Maybe someone should open a bug report with Thunderbird to bring the
option back ;).

>Is it hard to implement that feature?

For reference I also looked into this:

To my understanding the iCalendar option works more like a file with all
events, so every change needs a resync of the complete file. This
triggers the create collection function in Radicale and the
documentation says that the collection should be replaced if it exists
already. I did a naive implementation where I ignore the collection
creation which should be fine as long as there are no changes to it in
Thunderbird. But Thunderbird still complains that it was not able to
save data even though there where no changes. Then I compared the
initial collection from Radicale with the one Thunderbird send and they
are quiet different. Thunderbird drops the timezone information, changes
the DTSTAMP (time stamp of last update) and adds extra flags, like
X-MOZ-GENERATION. I guess Thunderbird expects the send file to be saved
bit identical (like a WebDAV client) which is not possible with
Radicale. I guess you could implement a proxy that stores the
Thunderbird file and feeds changes back to Radicale (and the other way
round). But that is out of scope of radicale-remind (and Radicale) and
would be a new project.

Cheers Jochen