[Remind-Fans] French translation optimization

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Fri Aug 5 14:56:30 EDT 2022

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 20:40:01 +0200 (CEST)
l0f4r0--- via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> I've added the following line in one of my remind files:
>INCLUDE [$SysInclude]/lang/fr.rem

> But if I'm not mistaken, it seems there are still 2 places (maybe not
> exhaustive) where translation could be done in the `rem` output:

> * Current date on 1st line
> Example: "Reminders for Friday, 5th August, 2022 (today):"

Huh!  I have this in my file:

INCLUDE [$SysInclude]/lang/auto.rem

and when I run:

    $ LC_ALL=FR_fr rem -q

I get:

    Rappels pour vendredi, 5 août, 2022 (aujourd'hui):

> * Substitution filters like %1

> Examples: "Test alert 5 minutes ago" or "Test alert at 19:00 6
> minutes from now"

I get this:

$ (echo 'INCLUDE [$SysInclude]/lang/fr.rem'; echo 'REM AT 19:00 MSG Test %1') | remind -q -
Rappels pour vendredi, 5 août, 2022 (aujourd'hui):

Test dans 4 heures et 7 minutes

[...]

> in order to take into account more french cases but there will still
> be an issue: the gender. Indeed, depending on the object counted, it
> can be masculine (1er, 2nd) or feminine (1ère, 2nde)... I'm not sure
> that could be scriptable. Otherwise, maybe put the following if it's
> not to bloated: FSET subst_ordinal(d) iif(d == 1, "er(e)", d == 2,
> "nd(e)", "ème")

Yes, at that point the substitution mechanism might break down and you
might need to put direct function calls inline that pick the correct
gender, possibly by being passed "m" or "f" as an extra parameter.