[Remind-Fans] Terminal emulators (was Re: Remind 04.01.00 BETA 3 is available)

paulf at quillandmouse.com paulf at quillandmouse.com
Thu Sep 22 23:14:58 EDT 2022

On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 20:52:43 -0400
Dianne Skoll via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 20:44:48 -0400
> hymie! via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I'm using xterm.  I'm an old-timer, so I'm not running gnome,
> > kde, or xfce.  Maybe I can find another terminal program that works
> > better.
>
> I was an xterm diehard for years, but finally switched to
> xfce4-terminal for proper UTF-8 support as well as more modern font
> handling.  I finally found a font that was really easy on my eyes
> (Inconsolata Medium 16).
>
> You can run just xfce4-terminal by itself without dragging in all of
> the XFCE environment.

For what it's worth, I run i3, and recently did a survey of the file
sizes of various terminal emulators.

xfce4-terminal: 387440 bytes
terminology: 556184 bytes
qterminal (LXQt): 403600 bytes
kitty: 14568 bytes

I recently switched back from Arch to Debian, or I would have checked
Alacritty (not available on Debian).

But Kitty uses your graphics card, is easily configurable, and it's
tiny. My choice was obvious.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster