[Remind-Fans] Terminal emulators (was Re: Remind 04.01.00 BETA 3 is available)

Jochen Sprickerhof remind at jochen.sprickerhof.de
Fri Sep 23 02:25:57 EDT 2022

Hi Paul,

* Paul M. Foster via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> [2022-09-22 23:14]:
>For what it's worth, I run i3, and recently did a survey of the file
>sizes of various terminal emulators.
>
>xfce4-terminal: 387440 bytes
>terminology: 556184 bytes
>qterminal (LXQt): 403600 bytes
>kitty: 14568 bytes

Note that kitty is written in Python so this table is not really
meaningful. But then again you are also missing the shared libraries
loaded by the other variants. To give you some idea of the file size
(not sure if one can draw any conclusion out of it), I propose apt
install on a minimal Debian unstable chroot:

$ apt install --no-install-recommends xfce4-terminal | grep "additional disk space"
After this operation, 179 MB of additional disk space will be used.

xfce4-terminal 179 MB
terminology 300 MB
qterminal 272 MB
kitty 63.8 MB
xterm 15.8 MB
stterm 15.6 MB

with stterm being https://st.suckless.org/.

I would rather recommend looking at the memory usage when running the
executable and for my Debian unstable test system I see (in top -e m):

           VIRT    RES    SHR
kitty   930.6m 103.3m  62.9m
xterm    21.3m  11.0m   6.1m
stterm   15.5m   8.5m   5.6m

I also recommend:

https://lwn.net/Articles/749992/
https://lwn.net/Articles/751763/

Note that stterm gained some speed improvements in the meantime and you
can also hand tune it (if you really need) as I wrote down here:

https://lwn.net/Articles/752894/

Cheers Jochen