[Remind-Fans] Terminal emulators (was Re: Remind 04.01.00 BETA 3 is available)

Mathieu matf at disr.it
Fri Sep 23 04:30:45 EDT 2022

Hi,

I have been using `kitty` for a few years too and I liked it, but realized I was not really taking advantage of its special features (most of my machines don't have a dedicated GPU), and `kitty` cannot be set to *not* depend on the GPU, so in the end it turned out to be slower than other terminals on those machines. I still liked its other features, like the very efficient `icat` image protocol, built-in tabs, complete customization options, URL grabber, *etc.*, but I finally moved to Wayland a few weeks ago and figured it was a good opportunity to try something else (even though `kitty` is compatible with Wayland too).

I am now a happy user of [`foot`](https://codeberg.org/dnkl/foot), which defines itself as a fast, lightweight and minimalistic terminal emulator. I have not done any measurements myself but there are [some](https://codeberg.org/dnkl/foot/src/branch/master/doc/benchmark.md) that look good, and it does feel fast indeed. It is easily configured with a simple file that covers aesthetics, keybindings, and more advanced features like a scrollback search and a URL grabber (those latter two are handy because I use a terminal e-mail client; they're convenient for Remind too because I can search in its output without using a pager). It also supports sixel, font resizing, *etc.*, but one feature I really like is it has a server mode, whereby one process can be launched as a daemon and other windows can then be launched as clients within the same process, which makes them start even faster and use less memory because they share the same font cache (with some downsides: if the server crashes, all clients crash, or if one window is very busy, this may impact others). I typically autolaunch the daemon when I start Sway, and then use mostly clients.

I have also been using `st` a little and keep it as a fallback terminal just in case, since it's very lightweight, but I didn't spend much time configuring it. On some machines still using Xorg, I also use `urxvt`, which turned out to be quite fast as well and is still actively maintained even if it's an oldie, with a server/client mode too, and it is quite customizable (extensions for URL grabbing, tabs, changing font size dynamically, fake transparency for those low spec machines that can't use a compositor).

Terminal emulators are really a matter of personal taste anyway, but it's cool that we have so many options.