[Remind-Fans] Remind-fans Digest, Vol 206, Issue 1

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Tue Oct 4 16:40:06 EDT 2022

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 11:49:01 -0500
julio via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> That works, but only when I run it, and it shows all the appointments
> for today. I only want the next appointment to be showed up.

You need to let Remind run in the background, such as with "remind -z1"
You can start this command once every time your computer starts:

    remind -z1 ~/.reminders < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 &

and it will issue timed reminders when they occur.

> Also with the RUN command works, but I put it like this:

> REM Tue AT 13:00 RUN notify-send "appointment"
> REM Tue AT 13:00 MSG appointment

> The second is to show up in the calendar with the '-c' option.

> How can I implement this without putting two commands in the *.rem
> file and just get the notification for the next appointment in
> notify-send or dunst?

You can have a RUN reminder also show up in your calendar as follows:

REM Tue AT 13:00 +15 *5 RUN notify-send "%"appointment%" %b"

The %"...%" markers tell Remind which piece should go in the calendar,
but they are removed in normal mode when Remind invokes notify-send.