[Remind-Fans] Ways to use Remind

Michael DeBusk mdebusk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 13:04:26 EDT 2022

On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 9:51 PM shipping via Remind-fans
<remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> I'm looking for interesting ways others use Remind.

The closest I come to "interesting" is having a daily cron job run a
query on an SQLite database to tell me when it's time to reorder
something.

At the bottom of the "include" section of my reminders.rem I have:
    include /home/michael/.config/remind/inventory.rem

At the bottom of the SQLite script run by cron every day is:

    .headers off
    .output /home/michael/.config/remind/inventory.rem
    SELECT "REM Time to re-order", name || '%' FROM inventory WHERE
using = 1 AND remaining/per_day < 30;

If it's NOT time to reorder, then inventory.rem is zero-length. If it
IS time to reorder, then SQLite creates inventory.rem.

(I take a large number of vitamins and food supplements to deal with a
few health issues and I order between nine and twelve months' supply
at a time. I keep the inventory in a box in a dark, cool place, so I
don't see it unless I empty a bottle. I would schedule regular
deliveries, but there are times when I have to skip a few
days---perhaps for a blood test or a surgical procedure---and have to
go in and adjust my inventory manually. An SQLite database, updated
daily by cron, has done the best job for me of anything I've tried.)

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign     * against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org       * against proprietary attachments