[Remind-Fans] Heads up / speak up: Change coming to Remind's parser

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Wed Aug 21 13:05:35 EDT 2024

Hi, everyone,

Prompted by a personal email from someone looking for support, I've made
a couple of changes to the Remind parser for the next release that might
cause some warnings to be issued for previously-valid reminder files.

In the existing version:

   This is a line

is equivalent to:

   REM MSG This is a line

That is, if Remind can't parse the first token of a line, it assumes
it's just a MSG-type body.

Also:

   REM Jun Hello!

is equivalent to:

   REM Jun MSG Hello!

That is, if Remind can't parse a token in a trigger specification, it assumes
it's the start of a MSG-type body.

In the next release, these types of lines will still be parsed the same
way, but will issue warnings.  In the first case, the warning will be
"Unrecognized command; interpreting as REM" and in the second case, it will be
"Missing REM type; assuming MSG"

I had to change some of the files that ship with Remind to avoid these
warnings, and it's possible/likely you'll need to update your files
too.  The rationale for this change is that if a future version of
Remind introduces new keywords, old reminder files might suddenly
start behaving very differently.  Better to have everything be
explicit.

If you are vehemently opposed to this change, please speak up.  I will
not revert it, but I might consider a command-line flag to suppress the
warnings.