[Remind-Fans] Remind 05.00.02 is Released

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Fri Jul 26 08:03:11 EDT 2024

Hi, everyone,

I'm pleased to announce the release of Remind 05.00.02.  The big change
is a better way to handle the ONCE keyword.

Remind 05.00.02 is available at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Tar: https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/download/remind-05.00.02.tar.gz
GPG: https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/download/remind-05.00.02.tar.gz.sig
Git: https://git.skoll.ca/Skollsoft-Public/Remind

Release notes follow.  Note that this release is unchanged from
05.00.02-BETA-1 which I announced a couple of weeks ago; the release is only
happening today because I was on holiday in Amsterdam.

CHANGES TO REMIND

* VERSION 5.0 Patch 2 - 2024-07-26

* IMPROVEMENT: Remind: Revamp how ONCE works.  You can now set a
  special variable $OnceFile to be the path to a timestamp file.  The
  ONCE directive uses this timestamp file to track when it was last
  run rather than the access date of the main reminder script.  This
  is more reliable because it doesn't rely on the atime of a file
  (which might not be maintained accurately) and is not affected if
  you edit your reminder script.

* CHANGE: Taking input from stdin no longer implies the "-o" option; ONCE can
  work if you set $OnceFile

* CHANGE: Any of the -c, -n, -p and -s options implicitly enable the
  -o option.  As before, specifying a repeat factor *N or a date that
  is not today on the command-line also implies -o.

* MINOR NEW FEATURE: Rem2PDF: Add the "--svg" command-line option to produce
  SVG output rather than PDF.

* MINOR IMPROVEMENT: Remind: Improve the storage efficiency of short
  string constants in compiled expression trees.

* MINOR IMPROVEMENT: Remind: Remove some obsolete macro definitions

* VERSION 5.0 Patch 1 - 2024-06-08