[Remind-Fans] Remind 05.00.03 is Released

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Wed Aug 28 17:21:41 EDT 2024

On 2024-08-28 15:54, Remind list wrote:
> "Remind is becoming more picky!"  This release adds a whole batch
> of warnings that check for constructs that are probably mistakes.
[snip]
> * IMPROVEMENT: remind: If a SATISFY expression is not constant and
>   doesn't reference the trigger date somehow, issue a warning.

Testing this, it seems to falsely identify it as a suspect-case if
a function is called that uses $T variables within it.

I have

  FSET done_ym(y, m) y < $Ty || (y == $Ty && m < $Tm)
  REM 28 SATISFY [done_ym(2024, 7)] MSG Pay water bill

so I can mark when bills have been paid and remove them from the
calendar until they show up again the next month (so when I paid
this month's water bill, I changed that "(2024, 7)" to "(2024, 8)"

It's using $T variables within the function-call, but the latest
release grouses

  /home/demo/.reminders(2): SATISFY: expression has no reference to trigdate() or $T...

Otherwise, it caught what it should have and ignored what it should.

> * IMPROVEMENT: remind: Emit warnings for lines that are implicitly
>   treated as REM commands; add warnings for REM commands that are
>   implicitly treated as MSG-type reminders.

This caught a *shocking* number of these (`git diff --stat` says
65 reminders fixed)

Nice!

> * IMPROVEMENT: remind: Add an optional fourth argument to the built-in
>   ampm() function that specifies not to suppress a leading zero in the
>   hour component.

Is there any similar functionality to what displays on the
calendar-view, the AT+DURATION, so that it reads something like
"2:00pm-3:30pm"?

I currently have a custom function:

  FSET subst_z(alt, d, t) ampm(t) \
    + iif(trigduration() == -1, \
      "", \
       "-" + ampm(t + trigduration()) \
       )

allowing my reminders to look something like

  REM Sep 15 2024 AT 9:00 MSG %"Call Hellen%" %z
  REM Sep 16 2024 AT 8:00 DURATION 1:30 MSG %"Shareholder meeting%" %z

(the calendar view automatically adds time-ranges, so I just want
them in the agenda-view)

-tim