[Remind-Fans] Remind 05.00.03 is Released

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Wed Aug 28 19:09:37 EDT 2024

On 2024-08-28 17:32, Remind list wrote:
> > > * IMPROVEMENT: remind: If a SATISFY expression is not constant and
> > >   doesn't reference the trigger date somehow, issue a warning.
>
> > Testing this, it seems to falsely identify it as a suspect-case if
> > a function is called that uses $T variables within it.
>
> Yup.  It doesn't recurse into user-defined functions.

Even if it doesn't recurse into the functions, is there a way to
check if a function was called (even if you don't recurse into its
implementation) and then be less warn'y about it in case something
deeper does it right?

As much as I like the "you're likely doing it wrong", I think the
"you're actually doing it right but remind can't tell, so it's going
to complain" spamming is far worse.

> The fix is to pass in the variables you need:
[snip]
>     FSET done_ym(y, m, ignored) y < $Ty || (y == $Ty && m < $Tm)
>     REM SATISFY [done_ym(2024, 7, $T)] MSG Pay water bill
>
> which is more concise, but kind of gross... :)

If I were to go that route, I'd just use the as-of like

  FSET done_ym(y,m, as_of) y < year(as_of) \
	|| (y == year(as_of) && m < monnum(as_of))
  REM ... SATISFY [done_ym(2024, 7, $T)] MSG Pay water bill

which feels less gross. :-)

> > Is there any similar functionality to what displays on the
> > calendar-view, the AT+DURATION, so that it reads something like
> > "2:00pm-3:30pm"?
>
> No, because as you wrote, you can do that fairly easily with a
> user-defined function.

Okay, I'm cool with that.  Mostly trying to make sure I hadn't
missed something obvious :-)

-tim