[RP-PPPoE] using rp-pppoe in kernel mode with ppp

Kevin Wilson wkevils at gmail.com
Fri May 21 10:02:40 EDT 2010

Hello,
  I want to use rp-pppoe in kernel mode with ppp.
I saw somewhere that in order to achieve this, you need to add, in
/etc/ppp/options, the following entry:
plugin=rp-pppoe.so
I did so.
when starting a client, (by pppoe-start) I saw this message in  the kernel log:
Apr 30 19:41:23 localhost pppd[5973]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
Apr 30 19:41:23 localhost pppd[5973]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8p
compiled against pppd 2.4.5
Apr 30 19:41:23 localhost pppd[5973]: pppd 2.4.5 started by root, uid 0
Apr 30 19:41:23 localhost pppd[5973]: Using interface ppp0
However, the pppoe module was **not** loaded.

I know this for sure, becuase "lsmod | grep ppp" does not show it.
Moreover, I know that on this machine pppoe is compiled as a kernel module.

I expected that adding plugin=rp-pppoe.so will cause ppp to use
rp-pppoe in kernel mode, which means
using sockets which access the pppoe module.
Where I was wrong ?

Can anybody also advice regarding kerel mode pppoe in the server side ?

Best,
Kevin