[RP-PPPoE] generating big number of pppoe sessions

Mike mike-rppppoe at tiedyenetworks.com
Wed Nov 24 14:19:06 EST 2010

Bankovic, Zoran wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Can pppoe be used for generating big number of pppoe sessions? Actually I want to perform stress test on my RADIUS server.
> I have cisco BRAS, RADIUS connected to it and need pppoe sessions simulator. Can I use one linux machine and pppoe for it?

You can run a few thousand pppoe sessions (clients) from a single linux
box. This may not exactly be a good stress test however, here's why:

All the sessions will have the same client mac address.
You won't likely be able to run actual traffic over all the links
simultaneously due to linux ip routing picking 1 link since all of them
go to exactly the same place.

Good luck.