[RP-PPPoE] PPP Escape Codes

Jason Klebs jason.klebs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 14:12:55 EST 2010

Hello all;

I am trying to set up a testing scenario (for testing purposes at my
workplace) where I connect a PPPoE client to connect to another machine
running the server software.  I have it set with options to skip the
discovery phase (-e) and discovery socket (-n).  Also, I am trying to
run the client in an asynchronous mode so that the flag (7E), Address
(FF), and Control (03) bytes will be written into the PPPoE session
frame.
The last part is what I'm having trouble with.  I'm using wireshark to
inspect all of the ethernet frames coming out of my machine, and there
is never any trace of the flag, address, and control bytes in the
ethernet packets.  After looking up some information about how the pcap
library (and, by extension, wireshark) works
(http://wiki.wireshark.org/SLL), I'm not sure if these bytes are there
or not.  Regardless of whether I set it up for asynchronous mode, the
ethernet packets coming out never change.
Perhaps someone could shed some light on this.  Does it seem to be a bug
in the pppoe client software, or a limitation of the pcap library which
is reading the packets?

Thanks for your help,
-Jason