[RP-PPPoE] Req:Hints for mulitple pppoe-server instances

Insane Laughing Clown mike-rppppoe at tiedyenetworks.com
Mon Jun 4 10:19:30 EDT 2012

On 06/03/2012 06:12 AM, hbreschner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thx for the fast reply.
>
> I have to apologize that I did not wrote everything, for testing purpose
> I need to support different VLANs for simultaneous PVC.
> I learned that I can define specific Ethernet frame types, so I will
> have again a look into the option "-f disc:sess".
> Anyway, I am not quite sure if I have to un-tag the packages from any
> additional PVC/VLAN to let PPPOE Server react to them.
> Or if I have to just to bridge the virtual devices to make them
> reachable from one pppoeserver.
>
> I will have as well a look to the fwmark.
> thanks for the hint.

I don't think you want to be playing with the ethernet frame types, this
won't help you unless you have a pppoe client which uses different
ethertypes for discovery and session frames.

For each vlan you want to use, you need to set it up in advance on your
server. Typically, you have 1 ethernet port connected to your switch
which is in 'trunk' mode, and further you have used the 802.1q/vlan
support in linux to create 1 or more vlan interfaces, which you can then
run a pppoe server process on and support clients on that interface. If
you have a group of vlan interfaces which you will serve the same
services on, you could create a bridge and add those interfaces to the
bridge and then be running pppoe-server on that bridge interface instead.

-ILC