[RP-PPPoE] rp-pppoe + 2 freeradius

Insane Laughing Clown mike-rppppoe at tiedyenetworks.com
Tue Jul 3 15:19:58 EDT 2012

On 07/03/2012 11:36 AM, Tiago wrote:
> Hello guys,
> I've a rp-pppoe + freeradius + mysql server in production, and now I
> would like to add a new freeradius server to distribute/load balance
> auth requests or to work as failover. I already have the new
> freeradius online and working ok.
>
> I've added to my /etc/radiusclient/servers my both IPs:ports and
> shared secret. From my pppoe-server I can communicate using radtest to
> my new freeradius server.
>
> However, I'm only getting requests to my old freeradius... so what am
> I missing??? Is there anything else I need to do to enable
> distributing requests?

This is in reference to radiusclient, which is part of PPPd. As I
understand it, in practice, pppd-radius uses the servers in the given
order and does not 'load balance' or 'distribute' requests across
servers. I can be wrong about this however (this is just my indirect
observation, so YMMV). Here's a question however - can you disable the
first freeradius server and observe requests timing out and then going
to the second? If so, then I'd have to say you are configured correctly
and seeing the expected result.

-ILC