[RP-PPPoE] PPP complains about modem hang-up when invoked from pppoe-server

David Fernandez david.fernandez.work at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 12 04:44:52 EDT 2017

> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:25:14 -0400
> From: Dianne Skoll<dfs at roaringpenguin.com>
> To:rp-pppoe at lists.roaringpenguin.com
> Subject: Re: [RP-PPPoE] PPP complains about modem hang-up when invoked from pppoe-server
>
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 15:03:02 +0100
> David Fernandez<david.fernandez.work at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> The PPPoE discovery seems to be fine, but the moment the windows
>> sends the first LCP packet, the linux terminates the PPPoE session
>> with the error "Generic-Error: RP-PPPoE: Child pppd process
>> terminated" in the PADT.
> You should be using kernel-mode PPPoE, but that's probably not relevant
> to your particular problem.
>
> What is the output of:
>
> tcpdump -n -i any -s 1500 ether proto 0x8863 or ether proto 0x8864
>
> when you run the connection attempt?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dianne.
Hi Dianne,

I've capture a wireshark trace instead (no filters so it gets it all),
let me know if you really need the tcpdump instead.

As mentioned, there is just the generic error on the PADT. I guess pppd
is terminating without saying explicitly why, as it prints the options
as instructed, but it does not print the first LCP packet.

Regards,

David.