[RP-PPPoE] Success! RP-PPPoE and NBN VDSL VDSL2

Wilber rp-pppoe-ml at wilber.pointclark.net
Mon Apr 23 05:31:20 EDT 2018

Just a quick email reporting my success getting RP-PPPoE(Roaring
Penguin PPPoE client) to work with my new NBN(National Broadband
Network) connection which uses a FTTN(Fibre To The Node) technology
with VDSL or VDSL2. When I tried to do a google search earlier I
didn't find much information regarding it so I hope to add to the body
of knowledge. Most of Australia will soon be forced to use the NBN as
they are disconnecting every one's PSTN and ADSL services two years
after the NBN has finished rolling out in their area.

The settings inside the modem I used where as follows:
DSL Transfer Mode: PTM
Type: Bridge Connection
VLAN: Off

I modified the following files by putting in my new username and password:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets

After that it worked.

The technical details of the connection:
VDSL2 (G.993.2)
Profile17a
Link Encapsulation: G.993.2_Annex_K_PTM (Annex K)