[RP-PPPoE] Suggestion for rp-pppoe: terminate old session

Koos van den Hout koos at idefix.net
Tue Jun 23 17:07:29 EDT 2020

I'm having the following problem with a PPPoE connection, and I'd like to
know if I missed any configuration option with rp-pppoe or if an extra
option to try to terminate a previous session before starting the discovery
phase will fix this.

The setup is:

Home router runs pppd+pppoe over ethernet to draytek vigor 130 vdsl modem.
Modem is set up for this.

When there is a problem in the network between the exchange and the ISP,
the ppp session times out eventually (lcp-echo-failure) and gets
terminated. The DSL connection stays up fine.

On restarting the session, the discovery for a new session keeps some state
of the previous session active, leading to hours and hours of

Jun 23 08:02:16 wozniak pppd[2158]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 23 08:07:51 wozniak pppd[2158]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Jun 23 08:11:31 wozniak pppd[6719]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

in the logs.

The simple solution: ask the DSL modem to do a 'vdsl reboot'. This seems to
clear the cache in the network. After that the discovery phase will work
again and a session is established.

The 'integrated modem' offered by the provider (AVM fritzbox) will do a
complete dsl restart upon termination of the ppp session, and therefore
this problem does not occur.

Is there some configuration option I missed?

The ppp configuration:

plugin rp-pppoe.so modem
eth2
user koos at xs4all.nl
password Geheim
+pap
noauth
noipdefault
ipv6 ,
ipv6cp-use-persistent
defaultroute
persist
maxfail 0
noproxyarp
ipparam xs4all
lcp-echo-interval 60
lcp-echo-failure 3
lcp-echo-adaptive
holdoff 450

Last night the holdoff was set at 300 seconds and that wasn't long enough.

Suggestion from someone at the provider was to send a PPPoE terminate for
the old session when a new one starts after the previous one times out on
an LCP failure. Could this be an enhancement?

I don't see the option to do this with rp-pppoe. The commandline version
may be able to do this if I can get the session information from the
previous session.

Koos van den Hout

--
Koos van den Hout                         Homepage: https://idefix.net/