[RP-PPPoE] rp-pppoe 4.0-beta1 is released

For users of RP-PPPoE client/server software rp-pppoe at lists.skoll.ca
Sun Apr 16 16:36:25 EDT 2023

Am 16.04.23 um 21:11 schrieb For users of RP-PPPoE client/server
software via RP-PPPoE:
> Hi,
>
> rp-pppoe 4.0-beta1 is available at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/rp-pppoe/
>
> Tar: https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/rp-pppoe/download/rp-pppoe-4.0-beta1.tar.gz
> GPG: https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/rp-pppoe/download/rp-pppoe-4.0-beta1.tar.gz.sig
>
> Changes since 3.15 are below.  The obvious standout change is that the plugin
> compiles against both ppp >= 2.5.0 and ppp < 2.5.0.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dianne
>

> - All source code: Support for OSes other than Linux has been dropped.
>
> - Documentation: Updated fro modern Linux systems.

Dianne,

I have packaged rp-pppoe-3.x for FreeBSD so far, and we only had minor
patches, and once upon a time I did use it, but replaced things by
routers which makes WiFi all the more accessible... so I haven't used
rp-pppoe lately, but I've kept it compiling... and I wonder if, given
two computers on a LAN, that would be useful to test things, possibly
with one end talking PPPoE on Linux and one on FreeBSD...?

I understand that maintaining stuff for OSes that are no longer freely
available or relevant in practice (say, Solaris) is a fruitless
endeavour - but it would seem that the major BSDs (FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD
as a sibling; NetBSD, OpenBSD) are readily available.

What's your take on this?

Regards,
Matthias