[Remind-Fans] Start/Stop dates?

Tom Limoncelli tal at whatexit.org
Thu Feb 7 15:02:18 EST 2002

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 02:22:04PM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
>
> > What's the best way to specify that a certain event only applies
> > between two other dates?  For example, it would be nice to be able to
> > specify a complicated repeating event, but then say "only between Jan
> > 13, 2002 and Feb 20, 2002"
>
> There's no direct way to do a start date, but you can set a stop date
> with UNTIL
>
> REM ..complicated stuf.. UNTIL 20 Feb 2002 MSG foo

That's generally enough.  I use REMIND as the core of a event listing
system and usually things want to be advertised until a date with no
hard start date.

The other thing that I'm trying to figure out is how to skip a month.
For example, I have an event that happens the 1st Monday of the month
except when that clashes with a holiday.

I tried to specify it as:

SET  Week_1              1
REM Mon [Week_1] OMIT Sep        MSG Meeting on the usual date
REM 9 Sep 2002                   MSG Meeting on special date

However it doesn't work right.  I get:

% remind -s+52  /tmp/reminders
2002/09/02 * * * * Meeting on the usual date
2002/09/09 * * * * Meeting on special date

Suggestions?
--tal

        Tom Limoncelli -- http://whatexit.org/tal --  tal at whatexit.org
            On request, I can resend this email to you as a MS-Word
              file if your computer system can't read plain text.