[Remind-Fans] vcard, vcalendar, gui, etc....

Chun Kit Edwin Lau try_email_me at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 8 02:04:25 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:21:09PM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:
>
> > 	I am new in this list and I am a new remind user.  I think it is
> > a good application.  But I have some question about the "future" of
> > remind, namely for things like vcalender and hotsync.  Also, it is
> > complicated to incorporate things like vcard.  Lastly, is there any gtk
> > gui for remind?  Has anyone done anything on these areas? or it is not
> > necessary?  Anyone planning to make it a even better application? Thanx
> > in advance.
>
> It's gratifying to see all this interest in Remind. :-)  I started writing
> Remind in 1989, as a bored student intern.  Unfortunately, the project
> has been dormant since around mid-2000, because I'm doing Real Work (tm).

Honestly, I wanna do something about it.  However, I know limited C and
C++.  Is there any documentation/info for the protocol for server mode.

> I think a Vcalendar import/export would be great, but very tricky.  Remind
> is not quite a turing-complete language (deliberately not complete, in fact),
> but it's very expressive, and far richer than anything you could express
> in vcalendar/ical format.

That's why I said it is a good application.

> There is a Tcl/Tk GUI.  I like it. :-)

True Tcl/Tk frontend is good, but cannot extrapolated with other office
suit.  I imagine it will be great if it can run in the notification area
of gnome.

> Consider this as a call for a maintainer.  Working on Remind has been
> tremendous fun.  But I don't have the time to give it the attention
> it deserves; if someone else would like to take over, that would be fine.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

Edwin ERTW Lau