[Remind-Fans] remind & osx & geektool sample

A. Klostermaier remind-fan at klostermaier.de
Thu Jul 20 04:53:53 EDT 2006

Bezugnehmend auf Ihr E-Mail/Referring to your e-mail
vom/from 20.07.2006 um/at 3:02 Uhr:

>Andreas,
>
>This is impressive.  I oo was using the same
>combination (OSX, mac intel,  remind & geektools)
>until a a few days ago when my remind crashed (I
>posted earlier to see if there any ideas from the
>list) & has refused to work even from the terminal.
>Since you are using the same combination, may I ask
>how you did your remind installation - ie was it via
>the osx installer or compiling the source code?   I
>have tried to do a fresh  remind install without any
>success..

I do not have the solution for your problem, but I'll tell you my experiences with the installation of remind on OSX, maybe it'll help anyway.

I downloaded and compiled the sources of remind-03.00.23 directly on my Powerbook. You need the DeveloperTools to do so (and they are included on your Mac-CDs). Of course this approach will not be easy if you have never done this before.

When I switched to the Intel MacBook, I had to recompile remind-03.00.23, which worked flawlessly. I then tried to compile the sources of remind-03.00.24 but it wouldn't work:

gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I. -I. rem2ps.c
rem2ps.c:80: error: parse error before '*' token
make[1]: *** [rem2ps.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Then I tried to install remind-03.00.24 with DarwinPorts, which worked fine. I can only recommend DarwinPorts a lot, this is a very easy, undertandable and stable process!! Unfortunately, when installing DarwinPorts you cannot change the compilation-variables (at least I do not know how to), which means that I only get the English version.

So current status: I have two versions installed:

remind-03.00.23 in German via direct compilation in /usr/local/bin
remind-03.00.24 in English via DarwinPorts in /opt/local/bin/

For your problem:
you should first skip the rem-script and try remind directly to see if it produces any output or crashes right away. The problem might also be in your .reminders-file - because if remind worked before and you haven't changed anything, then there is no general problem in the code or compilation. Rem is a script that starts remind with ~/.reminders as default, so try to replace .reminders with a very simple file to check this out.

Andreas