[Remind-Fans] Remind-fans Digest, Vol 36, Issue 10

Natasha tashazo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 17:34:23 EST 2007

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:59:53 -0500
> From: Paul Pelzl <pelzlpj at eecs.umich.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Remind-Fans] opposite of UNTIL function?
> To: Users of the <remind-fans at whatexit.org>
>
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 12:00:11PM -0500, Natasha wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'm trying to set a reminder to remind daily on weekdays STARTING at
>> a certain date and ending at a certain date (UNTIL).   I tried:
>> REM Feb 26 2007 *1 At 08:00 OMIT Sat Sun MSG blablabla
>> but it didn't work since the *1 is interpreted as minutes instead of
>> days because of the 8am time.
>>

> This is incorrect.  The *1 always means a daily repetition.  However,
> this reminder probably doesn't do what you want it to, because you
> didn't specify how the omitted days should be handled.  If you just want
> to skip over those days, you'd need to add the SKIP keyword:
>
>    REM Feb 26 2007 *1 At 08:00 OMIT Sat Sun SKIP MSG blablabla
>
> If you want the reminder to terminate at some point, you can just tack
> on an UNTIL clause:
>
>    REM Feb 26 2007 *1 At 08:00 OMIT Sat Sun SKIP UNTIL Apr 1 2007 MSG blablabla
>

>> I tried just:
>> REM Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri At 08:00 MSG blablabla
>> but this seems to start at the beginning of this month...
>>

> This reminder triggers on every weekday at 8am, without regard for the
> date.  I'm not sure what you mean by "seems to start at the beginning of
> this month".
>
> If you want better answers, I think you'll need to provide some examples
> of the commands you are executing and what output you would expect to
> see.  At the moment it's a little unclear what you are trying to
> achieve.
>
> Paul

Thanks. You're answer worked perfectly - I was forgetting the SKIP.
OMIT, no matter how many times I read the man on it, is alluding me...
As for "seems to start at the beginning of the month" - - that's exactly
what I meant. If I looked at it in tkremind, I'd see the reminder start
at the beginning of Feb. Oh well--that's no biggie at all.
Another question, I have a tv show that every once in a while is not
playing. It's on one time a week and I've written the regular command so:
REM Sun At 21:00 +45 *15 MSG watch Show
now if it's not playing this sunday feb 25 2007, and I put "OMIT Feb 25
2007" with or without SKIP, it shows as a reminder for the day I'm
trying to omit! (It'll show today and not last week or next week)
Is this because I have a timed message or again I've got the omit wrong?
Thanks...