[Remind-Fans] Doing relative IMPORT statements?

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Sun May 5 09:40:53 EDT 2019

Hi,

On 5/4/19 8:09 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
> Currently I have a symlink from ~/.reminders to
> ~/.config/remind/remind.rem

Symlinks will (as you discovered) mess up filedir.  Here are a couple
of workarounds:

1) Invoke Remind with the actual filename.  For example:

   remind [options] ~/.config/remind/remind.rem

2) Make your directory layout look like this:

~/.reminders  -->  ~/.config/remind/

~/.config/remind/
 |-- remind.rem
 `-- inc/
     |-- birthdays.rem
     `-- others.rem

(I hope that ASCII tree makes it clear...)

Then you can invoke remind with ~/.reminders as the argument, and
in ~/.config/remind/remind.rem do this:

INCLUDE [filedir()]/inc/birthdays.rem
INCLUDE [filedir()]/inc/others.rem

In recent versions of Remind, if the filename you give it is a directory,
it reads all *.rem files in that directory in glob order.  So depending
on your needs, you might be able to put birthdays.rem and others.rem directly
in ~/.config/remind and not use any INCLUDE statements at all.

My ~/.reminders directory looks like this:

$ ls ~/.reminders
000-preamble.rem
010-birthdays.rem
012-skating.rem