[Remind-Fans] tkremind launching remind

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Mon Jul 19 21:03:46 EDT 2021

On Mon, 19 Jul 2021 19:16:23 -0400
Eben King via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> Hi people.  When I run tkremind, it runs remind -z0 and then kills it
> when tkremind exits.  How can I make this not happen?  If I kept
> tkremind up all the time it wouldn't be a bad thing, but I don't.
> When it's up alarms happen twice, because remind's already running.
> I could forego the other one if the one from tkremind stuck around.

There are a few ways around this, but one option is to put all your
backround reminders that should be persistent and not started by
TkRemind in a file such as "200-bg-reminders.rem".  Then in your main
reminder file, don't include that if Remind is invoked by TkRemind,
which you can test as follows:

IF ! defined("tkremind")
    INCLUDE 200-bg-reminders.rem
ENDIF

Alternatively, you can add extra options for TkRemind to pass to Remind
by clicking on Options and filling them in in "Extra Arguments for Remind"