[Remind-Fans] Automated remind notifications in specified time frame

Tim Chase remind at tim.thechases.com
Fri Jun 30 21:44:31 EDT 2023

Hey, Tim here (I'm pretty sure we've crossed paths on the Blinux or Raspberry VI lists)

> with reminders that pop up as notifications, if a notification
> daemon is running, or speak them with speech-dispatcher if
> not. The problem I'm having is it seems to want to repeat the
> reminders all the time, showing all of them every time the
> notify-send happens.

I suspect that you need to let remind run daemonized (without the
-q option), and specify a command to run using the -k option to
trigger your choice of reminder-presentation.  This can be a
shell-script that decides whether to run notify-send or pipe to
something like espeak/speech-dispatcher, something like

  $ cat ~/bin/notifyme.sh
  #!/bin/sh
  if notify_send_is_running
  then
    echo "$@" | while read c ; do notify-send ... "$c" ; done
  else
    echo "$@" | speech-dispatcher
  fi

and then you should be able to background something like

  $ remind -k"$HOME/bin/notifyme.sh %s &" ...

letting remind run once, fork into the background, and then issue
the timed reminders with just those items.

> a way to have remind show all reminders that are valid for the
> next 10 minutes, and skip the rest of them?

I'm not sure on that one.

-tim