[Remind-Fans] Automated remind notifications in specified time frame

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Fri Jun 30 23:11:42 EDT 2023

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 22:28:24 -0400
Storm Dragon via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> I tried -z at first, but it didn't do any of the things I specified
> with -k. Just for simplicity to see if it would work, I did
> approximately -z -k'notify-send "%s" &' but nothing ever popped up.

That should have worked.

Another option is to start Remind using "tkremind", the graphical
front-end.  It has its own mechanism for popping up timed reminders
(using the -z0 server mode).

Something like this *should* work for your use-case though, assuming
you're using Remind 04.02.04 or later:

    remind -a '-k:notify-send "%s" &' ~/.reminders

The "-a" tells Remind not to print timed reminders immediately.
The colon before notify-send tells remind to invoke this command
only for background timed reminders; normal reminders will simply
be printed to the terminal as usual.

There's no way to tell Remind to issue any timed reminders within the next
10 minutes.

The "-z -k" choice should have worked too.  Don't know why it didn't; perhaps
you can run a test against this reminder file:

    REM AT 23:59 +1440 *1 MSG Ping every minute - %1

which should issue a reminder once a minute.