[Remind-Fans] Ways to use Remind

Mathieu matf at disr.it
Tue Jan 30 12:17:12 EST 2024

Single-person calendar with different devices is my use case with Remind + remint indeed. There is an AUTOSYNC=on/off option in remint for force synchronization to a pre-configured git remote (pulling when running the script, and pushing when quitting it) so I guess this could be used for collaborative calendars as long as every collaborator has read/write permissions on the git repository. With proper git permissions, one could also imagine read-only users.

However, there is no built-in logic for resolving git conflicts yet, meaning this would have to be done manually if some people edit their local copy of the reminders at the exact same time, or without immediate Internet access to pull and push. Manually resolving conflicts would be annoying, plus people would have to know how to use git. Requiring Internet access to prevent git conflicts would also beat the point of using Remind, or at least one of its strengths, but it would definitely be possible to add a parameter in the script to prevent edition of the reminders file if the remote is not accessible. Limiting, but depending on your needs, maybe that'd do.

Mat

On 2024-01-30 05:10 taekoocair--- via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:

> Neat. This looks nice for single-person use to synchronize between
> personal
> devices. My primary use case of Google Calendar is as a collaborative
> tool.
> I'm not sure how to have that without going through some service with
> large
> market share, though.
>
> Mathieu via Remind-fans <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca> wrote:
>> It does not exactly answer your specific need but I guess I'm taking
>> the opportunity to answer to the original question from 2022: I use
>> a pure bash script (https://git.sr.ht/~mlaparie/remint) to simply
>> remove the need for any ical/caldav calendar. I use remind + remint
>> on all my devices (including my phone, but it has a hardware
>> keyboard so that simplifies using a terminal calendar and editor on
>> it) and display my reminders in a calendar view using remint to wrap
>> the remind functions into keybindings. Then I synchronize my
>> reminders file to git, as remint now has functions to automate the
>> commit, push and pull actions.
>>
>> I have not pushed my latest remint commits to the public repository
>> yet because they need more testing, I expect corner cases making it
>> fail, and have lacked time to do any proper testing beyon my own
>> use. But if anyone wants to try, the latest version can (1) show the
>> history of changes of the synchronized reminders files (see
>> attachment), (2) use a configuration file thereby removing the need
>> to edit the script itself and losing changes on new updates, and (3)
>> switch between different reminders files or (4) different
>> remint-configuration files on the fly. (3) should be useful for
>> those who organize their reminders into different files for
>> different contexts (i.e., work vs. personal). There is an option in
>> the configuration to make the git synchronization automatic.
>>
>> Mat

>>> This is exactly what I'm looking for. Would you be willing to
>>> share
>>> said