[Remind-Fans] Function not working

Dianne Skoll dianne at skoll.ca
Wed Oct 12 10:07:14 EDT 2022

On Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:01:42 -0400
"Merell L. Matlock, Jr. via Remind-fans" <remind-fans at lists.skoll.ca>
wrote:

> I'm trying to use the snippet that modifies US gov't holidays that
> fall on Sat/Sun so I can plan to *not* watch my grandkids on the gov't
> observation date.

That snippet is probably an example of bad Remind programming.
The modern way to do this is something like:

    OMIT 25 December MSG Christmas Day

    # If the 24th is a Friday, that's a holiday
    REM 24 Dec SCANFROM -7 ADDOMIT SATISFY [$Tw == 5] MSG Christmas Day (time off)

    # If the 26th is a Monday, that's a holiday
    REM 26 Dec SCANFROM -7 ADDOMIT SATISFY [$Tw == 1] MSG Christmas Day (time off)

You need a pretty recent version of Remind to support the above syntax.